Thursday, July 30, 2009

4 Years

George and I were married 4 years ago today. As I reflect back on all that has happened in the past 4 years, my thoughts drift back to the night George proposed. I helped pick out the setting for my engagement ring while George chose the main diamond. Once it was ready and sized, it sat in my bedroom waiting for the right moment. I would be lying if I said I didn't try it on and show it to my friends during this time! I was curious as to how George would mange to surprise me with a proposal since the ring wasn't hidden and we were (and still are) horrible at keeping secrets from each other!
We were both working the same shift at Cintas at the time, and as I was heading to the time clock on January 21, 2004, I noticed that he had left early and didn't say goodbye. I was a little upset that he had left without saying goodbye as I drove to Pleasant Day Child Care to pick up Sammie. The Shultz's, who owned the 24/7 in-home daycare, had become like family to us. They were normally asleep when I arrived at night, but this night they were both awake and greeted me at the door. I thought this was a little odd, but I knew they had a stressful day, so I figured they were still up trying to unwind. They followed me into the family room where Sammie was "sleeping", still talking about their day. When I bent over to pick up Sammie, she sat up and started looking arounf on the floor, mumbling something about dropping a ring. I was confused and asked her what ring as I helped her look. Then George entered the room out of nowhere, and I asked him what he was doing there. (I hadn't put 2 and 2 together at this point!) He smiled at me, picked up the missing ring from the floor, got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I, of course, started crying as I responded yes. The Shultz's stood there with huge smiles on their faces, happy to share this special moment with our family. We headed home giddy with excitement and tucked Sammie into bed. Then we started a tradition that has become our favorite way to celebrate any occasion (even made up ones). We ordered a pizza, popped open a bottle of champagne and watched a movie together on the couch. This particular night we watched 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding'.
The proposal was perfect in so many ways. It was truly a surprise and was very memorable. There was no fancy restaurant full of onlookers, no cameras to capture the moment, just us after work in a dimly lit family room. George had left work early enough to take a shower and be presentable, but I stood there in an ugly, over sized Cintas winter coat still smelling like the DAF with my hair pulled back and no makeup on. I was embarrassed of how I looked, but George didn't care. I felt so loved and accepted!
In the past 4 years, our marriage has lived up to the toast given by our Koumbara at our reception. Marriage is not always perfect, but love, true love, always is. I love you George and look forward to celebrating many happy years together!

No comments: